Thursday, October 21, 2010

home made pesto


So this summer I decided to get a little crazy and plant some herbs on my balcony -I consider this is crazy because I kill everything green aside from a bamboo plant that my sister in law Becca got me. (I'm going on three years with that bad boy now ...I know)




Well, One of the herbs is a basil plant. I thought that I would use it a lot, but I just didn't make anything requiring fresh basil this summer. Well, I knew I had to use it soon because winter's a com'n, so I decided on my first batch of pesto. -the pine nuts sitting on my shelf helped inspire this decision.




I was AMAZED at how much basil it took to make just a small amount of pesto. Geeeez, it nearly took the whole plant to make like a cup. A client recently informed me that you can use parsley as well to help cut back on basil usage.




We threw it on some sandwiches with a bit of rotisserie chicken and arugula and it was so good! Sadly my basil plant is practically gone now, but one can hardly be sad about that fact whilst eating delicious pesto

2 comments:

Allison said...

i need that sandwich right now! it looks so yummy!

Allison said...

i just checked you blog to see if you have updated...you have not and now i must look at that yummy sandwich and have the desire all over again to eat one. dang it! i need that sandwich and book number 5 to our series and my day would be just peachy. okay, thanks.