Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ryan's Ostler party

So everyone in the family gets an Ostler party for their birthday, but using the simple word "party" doesn't quite do it justice. Deborah Ostler pulls out all the stops with these shindigs and every one of them is themed and decked out to the nines. Ryan's was on Sunday and I'm sure you can guess that it was freak'n awesome by the pictures below. Ryan, of course, enjoyed the spotlight looking stoic as Ceasar in our ancient olympic themed birthday party -or was she secretly going for frat party.... either way, there were togas EVERYWHERE!!!
I like to do my part to encourage these themed parties and in preparation for this one I made faux olive branch head pieces for Ryan and I. As Ceasar, he got a cooler gold one to wear, but my greenies were still pretty sweet
-I decided to throw in a picture where you can see it better (but still not awesome) because propper credit needs to be given to the coolness ....ok fine, they weren't that cool,.. but they took me like an hour to make so I need to document them.
Everyone got a toga to wear and the color of sash you picked out determined the team you were on for the games. Games you ask? Oh yes, games. it wouldn't be an Ostler party without some theme coordinated activity --I only wish I had started documenting these parties sooner because there have been some pretty amazing activities involved here.
Ryan started off the games by making a dramatic entrance to the back yard with olympic music in the background. He held his torch high enough to make any wife proud. ...and then he began lyrically dancing about the yard to the music -which strangely enough made me even more proud.
This was our first event -the Javelin -opening a straw at one end and seeing who could blow the paper off of it the farthest. DAO herself, creator of all Ostler Parties, won this event. In my head I accuse her of putting in hour after hour of practice pre-games to perfect her technique though. After that we had a disc through and the hurdles. -both awesome,.. but I forgot to keep taking pictures.




No comments: