Saturday, March 6, 2010

Chili cook off

Every year the park ward has a chili cook off. This is pretty much the highlight event for our ward. Last year Ryan and I didn't realize what a huge event it was (please excuse us, we were new) and arrived late. Mistake. All the chili was gone by the time we got there. Well this year we were determined to make up for that. Well, Ryan has developed quite the rapport in our ward and we were asked to be judges this year too -ensuring all the chili we could possibly want. Side note, You should have seen the way Ryan's eyes lit up when they asked him; as if every hope and dream he'd ever had was being fulfilled. My eyes probably looked like they could already feel the heart burn coming on.
Of course we wanted to submit a chili of our own, but we had a bit of a disagreement. I wanted to submit the best chili I've ever tasted, Halloween Chili (named so because my mother-in-law D.A.O. makes it every Halloween for her trick-or-treating children and grand children) Ryan, however, does not adore her chili the same way that I do (how does it feel under that bus Ryan?) and wanted to submit something with a little more spice. Thus, two entries.


That's right, brother Ostler against Sister Ostler going head to head. (we were judging the other half of the room so it was completely fair) Tension was high when the awards began, but then they called it. Best in show goes to......Brother ostler. Now let me throw a few things out there. FIRST, Ryan's pot had a good two inches left in it at the end of the night, and mine was scraped to the bowl. to the bowl! SECOND, our entire primary class AND one of the judges from our side said that mine was way better by far. THIRD, Ryan had a whole lot of time left home with my chili while I was at work and he was making his. ----I'm not calling foul play...just saying. FOURTH, my cause may not have been helped by the fact that I made a sign with arrows pointing to our individual chilis with a note asking people to let us know if they thought mine was better. -I'm guessing that the judges don't respond well to poor sportsmanship. FIFTH and finally, DAO and I were robbed. This is all I have to say.

5 comments:

Rikki said...

I bet yours was way better!

Tracy said...

ha ha ha ha ha

mmmmm.. chili.

ha ha ha ha ha

Ryan said...

You know I couldn't have paid off the judges, cause food stamps aren't in high demand. And to Rae: Mmmmmm Chili. Best in show chili! Now for the award speech: I want to thank God first of all. He was the one who gave me so many delicious ingredients to use. Second, I want to thank the judges for believing my threats. And thirdly, I want to thank my supportive wife Amy. I love you Lady!

Deanna said...

Were there chunks of tomatoes in either of them? Cause that's a deal breaker. Sorry. If not, I'm sure they were both equally good (I learned that trick from mom)

kevinkaytheriot said...

EXcuse meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Why wasn't I mentioned in Ryan's acceptance speech? Guess who's out of the will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-(
Dad